We have now reached the 3rd Sunday of Advent and that means that there is just one more week before Christmas. Many of us must be busy shopping, cleaning, painting, polishing and getting rid of stuff we no longer need. Perhaps we are attending many Christmas dinners, shows and socializing but have we been attending to our spiritual preparation for the coming of Our Lord Jesus into our hearts, into families into our homes? If we have, then let us continue on the journey but if we are failing with our spiritual preparation it is not too late to start.
Here are some suggestions that you can incorporate into your daily lives to prepare for Our Lord and Saviour.
- Spend 5 minutes each day in quiet time with the Lord. Just focus on Him.
- Read some scripture and meditations. These can be located online.
- Say the family Rosary. (This can be done in the car while driving if you spend lots of time on the road.)
- Make a little Advent Wreath (if you haven’t done so already) and have the family pray and sing together.
- Visit a family member or friend who is lonely or in need and spend some time with them.
- Go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
- Have a family meal together at least once a week without the television, phones or tablets.
- Attend a Christmas novena or say it on your own. It begins on December 16th at St Michael’s at 5:30am. If not you can download it and say it on your own or as a family.
Please remember that next week we have to attend Mass twice for the weekend. We have to celebrate the 4th Sunday of Advent on Saturday evening or Sunday morning and then Christmas Mass on Sunday evening or Monday morning.