Many times we use the word Epiphany to mean a revelation to us when we are stuck in a situation and don’t know which way to go and suddenly we get an idea – an epiphany. In The Epiphany, celebrated this Sunday, the three Magi received a sign to go worship the new-born Jesus. In that moment, God revealed Himself to the Magi in a very real way and they were never the same. God is continually revealing Himself to us in many ways. Consider these.
- The Call: Just as God called the three Magi using a star so too God calls each of us through various means, such as a family member, a friend or even a beautiful church or song.
- Constancy: There must be constancy after the call because there will be many obstacles in the path just as there were for the wise men but we must remain constant on our journey.
- Cost: There is a cost to discipleship. The Magi are moved to give three symbolic and costly gifts that show some of what true faith includes.
- Gold – a symbol of all our possessions. In laying this gift before Jesus they and we are saying, “I acknowledge that everything I have is yours.”
- Frankincense – the gift of worship. In laying down this gift we promise to pray and worship God all the days of our life.
- Myrrh – a strange gift for an infant as it is usually understood as burial ointment. In laying this gift before Jesus we are saying, my life is yours. I want to die so that you may live your life in me.
- Conversion: “And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed for their country by another way.” Once we have been called there should be a change in the way we now live.
We should be a new person because we have experienced an epiphany in our lives.